This post contains affiliate links. However: all thoughts and opinions about an essential oils are absolutely my own. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Essential oils to nourish aging skin – Essential oils for the face
Essential oils have been known to people for a very long time. They were the first cosmetic products used in skin care. Thanks to a whole fan of useful properties, these fragrant substances were covered with legends and myths about their magical effect on youth, beauty and sexual attractiveness.
“And the first myth is already contained in the name – “essential oils”, although they do not have the properties of conventional base oils. These are organic oil-like substances that evaporate easily at room temperature without leaving a trace. In their chemical composition, fats are absent.”
How to get
The source of essential oils is only vegetable raw materials. Aromatic substances are present in leaves, flower petals, buds, fruit peels. There are many methods for extracting the essential extract: dynamic adsorption (using activated carbon), extraction (use of organic solvents), extraction (extraction with carbon dioxide), hydrodiffusion (the most modern method that does not require expensive equipment). For each type of plant, a certain method is used, which makes it possible to allocate the highest quantity of a high-quality product.
“There is an opinion that a product from plant material can not be expensive. This is not quite true. It is true for some types of essential oils, for example citrus fruits, which are obtained by an economical method of pressing.”
Inexpensive is also the method of distillation. Distillation involves heating the raw materials with steam or in water. High temperature destroys plant cells. Volatile substances are released and with steam fall into the cooling apparatus, where they turn into a mixture of oil and water. Due to the ability of the essential oil not to dissolve in water, it is easy enough to isolate it.
The most complex and, correspondingly, expensive method – enfleurage: the petals of flowers (roses, mignonette, jasmine) are laid out on a substrate saturated with animal fat. Fat absorbs the aroma as much as possible. And from the received aromatic fatty mass with the help of alcohol the essential oil is extracted.
“Thus, because of different ways of production, the price of the final product can range from a few dollars to several hundred dollars for a small bottle of fragrant liquid.”
The vegetative world on Earth is amazing and diverse. Each tree, grass, flower has its own shape, color and smell. So, essential oils derived from plants have completely different, sometimes opposite properties. Some better cope with age-related changes in the skin and assist in lifting, others – with skin diseases, others restore the water-fat balance. Therefore speaking of the benefits of essential oils, one should consider each oil separately and take into account the type of skin.
Dry skin in youth is considered a gift of nature, but with age it quickly loses its beauty and becomes wrinkled, therefore it requires intensive moistening. Essential oils are useful in the care of such skin. They improve her condition, reduce flaking, itching and wrinkles.
- Stimulate the production of subcutaneous fat – chamomile, geranium, sandalwood, palmarosa.
- Normalize the circulation of blood – rose, rosemary, lemon.
- Stimulate the renewal of cells – lavender, neroli, myrrh, frankincense.
- Moisturize and retain moisture – neroli, jasmine.
Oily skin, on the contrary, in its youth gives a lot of trouble to its owners (a groomed look, cysts, enlarged pores). With age, skin cells change and cease to retain moisture, pores taper, and problems with greasy shine disappear. But there are problems with elasticity. Essential oils help to cope with them.
- Purify – lavender, tea tree, lemon.
- Reduce the secretion and narrow the pores – rosemary, bergamot, grapefruit.
- Give a rejuvenating effect – lavender, lemon, juniper.
Normal skin, smooth, smooth, without blemishes, scaling and glossy shine is a rarity. Essential oils will help to keep this skin young and healthy longer.
- Purify – orange, lemon, rose.
- Toned – geranium, juniper, rosemary.
- They have anti-aging effect – tea tree, jasmine.
Problematic is the skin prone to acne and acne, with various irregularities and seals. For such a skin it is very difficult to choose the means of care. It would seem, what kind of oil can there be, if there is a fatty imbalance. But ether can help. It is important only to apply them pointwise and apply to the damaged area.
- It has bactericidal properties, it is applied at the stage of maturing acne.
- It struggles with the effects of rashes (spots, scars) – lavender. As an exception, it is strictly not recommended to use it in its pure form.
- He cures acne, smoothes and polishes the skin – ylang ylang.
- Disinfect the skin – tangerine, lemon, orange, bergamot.
Withering skin is characterized by a low level of regeneration, the appearance of wrinkles and age spots and requires more care and careful care. With nature it is difficult to fight, but you can use its strength, which is enclosed in natural products.
- Smooth wrinkles and give elasticity – neroli, patchouli, sandalwood, rose, rosemary.
- They have lifting effect – vetiver, jasmine.
- Lighten (whitening effect) and remove pigment spots – lemon, frankincense.
- Promotes the regeneration of cells – nutmeg, ylang ylang.
“In order not to experience disappointment, do not wait for results immediately. Essential oils, like all natural ingredients, have a delicate and gradual effect.”
Tips for use
Essential oils are absolutely safe, because they are 100% natural substances. However, essential oils can not only spoil, but also cause harm.
“Every essential oil is an essence. In nature, such a strong concentration is not found. Use it is necessary, observing caution, having consulted with a specialist beforehand, and considering all contraindications.”
- It is necessary to test the oil for an allergic reaction by applying it to the wrist. The resulting redness will be a natural reaction of the body to the concentrate. If the itching and burning sensation are felt for more than 5 minutes, it is better to refuse the use of this drug.
- On the skin, the essential oil can be applied only by mixing it with a base oil, selected according to the type of skin, cream or any other components of home masks (the exception is acupressure acupressure). Dosage can be from 2 to 7 drops per 15 grams of the base.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
- Citrus oils are best not used during periods of solar activity before going out, and even more so before resting on the beach or visiting the solarium. They contribute to the development of melatonin in the body, which will not allow tanning to lie exactly, but randomly scatter it with dark spots in an arbitrary shape.
- Absolutely every essential oil is inherent in an individual smell peculiar only to it, therefore at a choice it is necessary to consider not only type of a skin, but also taste preferences in a variety of aromas.
- You can practice face wash and bath for the body. In this case, do not forget that the essential oils do not dissolve in water, so first they need to be mixed with soda, salt or honey.
- Problem skin can be wiped with a mixture of disinfectant essential oils.
- For moisturizing dry – perfect for steam baths. Essential oils will evaporate along with the steam, and soak in the skin.
- Regular masks and massages with essential oils are very useful.
Popular in cosmetology
There are more than 2000 varieties of essential oils. They can be divided into groups. In cosmetology, there is a division of the effect on the skin (regenerating, cleansing, refreshing, etc.). Although this division is very conditional, since the same oil can benefit in several ways.
For cosmetic procedures, the best essential oils are those that eliminate facial skin defects and have a rejuvenating effect.
- Jasmine. As a lifting agent, it will suit any type of skin if it is used as one of the elements of an ethereal cocktail. In combination with rosemary and bergamot will regulate the work of the sebaceous glands, and heal inflammation, improving the condition of oily and combination skin. A mixture of lavender and rose is suitable for sensitive skin. Dry skin will turn into a moistened and elastic, protect against ultraviolet light, prevent pigmentation.
- Neroli. It is made from orange petals. It is considered one of the most effective means for rejuvenating procedures. Eliminates age wrinkles, smoothes mimic, removes on the face visible pattern of small vessels. Heals acne. In combination with the base oil, a peach is a magical balm for the delicate and delicate skin around the eyes.
- Pine. Since ancient times, its needles have been used to treat burns and frostbite, using its regenerating properties. These properties are also useful in cosmetology to protect the skin from external aggressive environment, to eliminate the effects of inflammatory rash and general rejuvenation.
- Fir oil. It has antibacterial properties and fights inflammation, therefore in its pure form it is used for treatment of acne and herpes by point application. It is able to quickly reduce and eliminate pronounced skin defects (emergency removal of edema, rapid lifting).
- Cedar. More precisely, the oil of pine nuts – the only one that does not have contraindications. Contains vitamins and microelements, cares for dry and fading skin of the face and hands. Covering it with a thin film, it helps to retain moisture and at the same time does not prevent it from breathing, and also protects from external adverse effects.
- Juniper. This plant is used in folk medicine. It is characterized by a rejuvenating effect. Deeply penetrating into the pores and clearing them, prevents the appearance of acne. Heals wounds. Smoothes scars. In its pure form, it is not recommended. It is better to apply a mixture with vegetable oil in a proportion of 1: 2.
- Eucalyptus. The ability to enhance cell growth makes it a valuable component in the care of aging skin. Useful against acne.
- Bergamot. As a result of cosmetic procedures with bergamot, the pores become narrower, and the work of the sebaceous glands is normalized. Bactericidal qualities make it indispensable in the care of oily and problem skin. Adding a tincture of bergamot oil to the tonic can provide a quality cleansing and refreshing remedy.
- Mandarin. Its oil is the most gentle and soft of all citrus fruits and can be recommended even to children and pregnant women. Suitable for aging skin. tones, refreshes, smooths the relief and brightens the pigment spots. Improves its color and general condition.
- Sage. Translated from Latin, the name of this plant sounds like “salvation.” The sage oil is treated with pustular diseases and other inflammatory processes on the skin.
- Patchouli. Possesses lifting effect. Successfully struggles with signs of aging. In combination with almond oil becomes a powerful moisturizer (10 ml almond oil, 2 drops of patchouli oil and 4 drops of chamomile oil) and eliminates flaky dry skin. Nourish the skin with moisture can cream, enhanced by the patchouli oil (2 drops), ylang – ylang oil (2 drops) and grapefruit oil (1 drop).
Face Mask Recipes
- Pore minimizing mask.
- A simple cleanser to minimize large pores.
In the mineral non-carbonated water (1/2 cup) pour the tea tree oil (15-20 drops). Wipe face morning and evening.
- Anti-Aging mask for dry skin (35-45 yo).
Stir cosmetic clay (2 tablespoons) with corn or potato starch (2 tsp), egg yolk (1 pc.) And honey (2 tsp) until smooth. Add evening primrose oil (1 tsp) and essential oils of sandalwood (2 drops), roses (2 drops) and lavender (2 drops).+
- Universal anti-aging rejuvenating mask for the neck and face (45+ yo).
A cream suitable for your skin type and your age category, for example 45+, (1 tsp) mixed with essential oil of vetiver or jasmine (2 cap.) And applied to the face and decollete area. It is not necessary to wash off. Remain the remaining surplus with a tissue after 15-20 minutes.
If you need to immediately tighten the skin, then it is better to add fir ale (2 drops) to the cream.
- Rejuvenating anti-wrinkle mask for skin elasticity.
- This mask brightens and refines skin’s tone